Job Vacancy: MRC Senior Scientist- Maternal and Neonatal Health
The Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia (MRCG) is seeking to recruit a Senior Scientist with a proven track record of world-class research in the field of maternal and neonatal health with emphasis on the field of implementation research; S/he will develop an outstanding research program in both Senegal and The Gambia, dealing with issues of public health importance related to maternal and neonatal health in West Africa. Such program will be formulated and implemented in full collaboration with the 3 institutions involved in the WAGHA and their relevant components/research themes.
List of Duties / Work Programme / Responsibilities
- Build up the MRCG maternal and neonatal health team based in Dakar and have the overall responsibility for its management.
- Set up an innovative and relevant research strategy addressing one or more of the most pressing needs for the improvement of maternal and neonatal health in West Africa and beyond.
- Successfully compete for research funding, direct their own research programs and have supervisory responsibility for all related research activities.
- Play a key role in the development of the strategic planning of the WAGHA, anticipating internal and external future demands, opportunities and constraints.
- Work in liaison with senior members of the three institutions involved in the WAGHA to achieve the above objectives.
- Work in close collaboration with the three MRCG research themes to exploit inter-theme synergies.
- Disseminate the results of research at local, national and international level at meetings and conferences and through peer-reviewed publications.
- Exploit the opportunities to extend collaborative research to other institutions within the West African sub-region.
- Be a member of the MRCG Scientific Coordinating Committee.
- Be responsible for the coordination of all projects under his/her jurisdiction.
- Represent the MRCG in stakeholder meetings in Senegal and in other relevant international meetings.
- Contribute to the training and supervision of scientists and research students, including PhD students.
- Undertake all work following the relevant safety rules and regulations as laid down in the MRCG Safety Manual.
Essential: PhD or equivalent in a relevant area.
Desirable: FRCOG or FRCPCH or equivalent, Bilingual (In addition to spoken English, an ability to averagely or fluently understand spoken and written French)
Knowledge and Experience
Significant post-doctoral experience in the area of maternal and neonatal health
Outstanding publication record, including senior authorship
Good track record of attracting external funding in different funding agencies in the area of maternal and neonatal health
Experience of training and supervising students at level of MSc and PhD students to graduation
Experience in supervising other staff
Experience in leading a team
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Ability to multitask and deliver quality outcomes on time
Ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team
Excellent organizational and managerial skills
Ability to work co-operatively with key stakeholders
Excellent inter-personal skills and a willingness to work with others to overcome problems as and when they arise