Job Vacancy: Part time translator (Portuguese to English)
Portuguese to English translator for EN-INDEPTH Study (PT)
Terms of Reference:
The translator will be engaged to work on a temporary basis with the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine’s MARCH Centre team. The translator will specifically work on written translation of focus group discussions, field notes, and guidelines from Portuguese to English, as part of the EN-INDEPTH study, a work stream of the Every Newborn Action Plan. The EN-INDEPTH study is taking place across five countries in Africa and Asia.
This section of the EN-INDEPTH work is focused on the following two broad objectives:
- Exploring barriers and enablers to reporting of pregnancy and pregnancy losses within surveys and HDSS settings in Africa and Asia
- Improving household survey capture of birth weight and gestational age
The translator will be London-based and will be responsible for translation of 12 documents (77 pages) from Portuguese to English. These documents are transcripts from the focus group discussions that were held in Bandim HDSS, Guinea Bissau.
Description of work:
The translator will be expected to:
- Translate 12 documents (77 pages) in written form from Portuguese to English, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained
- Utilise any scientific, technical and/or literary documents necessary to find the correct translation
- Proof read translated documents and liaise with MARCH Centre members to discuss any unclear points in the translation
- Remain neutral and free from bias while translating and proof reading materials
- Fluency / advanced proficiency in Portuguese and English
- Experience in written translation and the ability to translate at least 1 page per hour
- Good Information Technology skills, particularly use of Microsoft Word
- Experience with focus group discussions and qualitative research
- Understanding of newborn and maternal health and data collection systems
Dates of engagement: Part-time through the first 3 weeks in July, with a possible extension of 1 week
Hours and rate of work: The role will be approximately 3 days (21 hours) per week, based on the expectation of translation of at least 1 page per hour. The role holder will work up to a maximum of 15 days during the dates of engagement.
Payment for the duration of the post will be £15/hour. The post will be subject to the LSHTM terms and conditions of service. Payments will be made on the 24th day of each month for work undertaken the previous month, following submission and approval of signed off time sheets on the last day of the month. For example, the first payment would be on 24th August 2018 for work undertaken up to 30th July 2018 (as long as timesheets are submitted at the end of July).
Deadline: Sunday 1st July 2018
Please apply here: Portuguese to English translator_INDEPTH_Study.pdf
PLEASE STATE YOUR AVAILABILITY FOR JULY IN YOUR EMAIL/APPLICATION.Back